Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Someday

Someday I'd really like to have a coffee table again. Just somewhere to put a magazine or two....or even a cup of coffee if I'm really feeling crazy. Before I had children a coffee table seemed like a harmless enough object. It might bruise a shin or two if you are a hopeless klutz with horrible depth perception (which I happen to be), but it's a fairly safe piece of furniture, right? Wrong. Soooo wrong. I can only imagine what my three and a half year old son and two year old daughter would do with a coffee table. Chances are it would involve climbing, jumping, and (eventually) a head wound. Any drinks placed on said coffee table would surely be spilled within moments of being set down.

Maybe if we had a separate living room and family room we could get away with having a coffee table. I guess that's the not so great thing about the "great room" concept. Open floor plans make it hard to close off an area to keep your kids away from objects that might lead them to do something Emergency Room trip worthy.

Am I being overly dramatic?  Probably. Are their safety measures I could take to make a coffee table safer? Sure. I could make the entire thing padded....and it would need to be low enough to the ground that they couldn't hurt themselves jumping on it. I'm pretty sure I just described a carpet....which we happen to have in our living room. So there...I have a coffee table. It covers my entire living room floor, it's really soft, and super low to the ground.

Someday we'll move. Someday the kids will be older. Someday we'll have a coffee table...and maybe even a coat rack...

No comments:

Post a Comment