Tuesday, May 24, 2011

It's Just a Phase

Alright.  I was prepared for the Terrible Two's...well...I was as prepared as a first time parent can be ;)  I had no idea what it would be like, but I knew something was coming.  The point is that I was expecting two to be a difficult age.  I thought (mistakenly) that if we survived two things would get better.  As my son approached age three I day dreamed of things getting easier.  In my mind three would be the turning point...an end to tantrums and testing.  The start of something less....chaotic.
To be honest I can't even say that I wasn't warned.  When other people told me that three was harder.  For some reason I thought that would never happen in my house....kind of like I thought I'd never get stretch marks, or cut my hair short to make it easier to deal with.  I thought three was harder for some people, but not for everyone...I was SURE three wouldn't be harder for my sweet little boy.

You may have already guessed by now that age three has not been a walk in the park.   I don't even know how to describe it.  Testing has been taken to a new level.  A level that involves talking back and doing things he KNOWS will get him in trouble.  A three year old can say things like "No YOU'RE in time out", "be quiet mommy", and my personal favorite "I don't love you".  A tantrum thrown by an over tired two year old pales in comparison to having your child tell you he doesn't love you.  Yes he's three.  No he doesn't mean it...but does it hurt?  Does it make me want to cry...umm...you bet your buns it does!  My sweet, loving, predictable little man seems to be missing at present.  I don't know what to expect from the look-a-like that took his place. 

Deep breath in...hold it...now exhale....okay.  I will make it through this phase.  This is just a phase.  Just a phase.  Just temporary.  In the grand scheme of things this is nothing.  Before I know it we'll be on to the next phase..hopefully a phase that doesn't make me want to curl into the fetal position and cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment