Saturday, February 13, 2010

Never Say Never

Before I actually became a parent there were so many things I said I’d never do. Looking back I realize I had no idea what I was talking about :)  Sometimes in the land of pregnancy, babies, toddlers, and very little sleep you do things that only another parent could understand.

My first “never” to go out the door was going through labor drug free. My mom gave birth to all five of us with no epidural. I can remember thinking as a teenager that she was crazy.  I was sure that I would ask for an epidural as soon as the pregnancy test turned positive ;)  Instead I ended up being just as crazy as my mom was. I chose to have a natural birth not once, but two times. I can honestly say it was the most empowering thing I have ever done in my life. It was a lot of work, and I wouldn’t say that natural birth is the right thing for everyone.

After my son was born many of the “never” situations became “just this once” situations…and it was never just that once ;). I had always said I would never bring my baby to bed with me….yeah…that lasted about a week. I thought I would never cry because my baby was crying and I couldn’t get him to stop…I’m sure that happened at least once…okay twice ;)

Before I had children of my own I was positive that I would never be one of those mom’s who tells people all about their kids poop and boogers. Well I’m guilty of that one too. I am also guilty of taking a million pictures of my children (who are just sitting there looking back at their silly mommy) because they are sooooooo cute I can’t help myself ;) Then I subject whoever happens to be close by to looking at each and every picture. Yes I am that mom who thinks every new word, every new skill, and every milestone is THE most exciting news around.

And of course I was sure that my children would be perfect angels.  We would all be perfectly groomed.  There would be no hitting, no tantrums, no throwing of food.  I would always be in complete control.  Although I love them more than life itself I must admit that my little ones are not ALWAYS perfect....only about 90% of the time ;)

There are really too many things to mention here. I guess I thought that coming from a big family, and babysitting for other families that I had it all figured out. Turns out there was a lot I just didn't understand.  Two years and two babies later I am still learning more and more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment